Monday, January 21, 2008

Photographing Bonsai

Carl Bergstrom wrote an article some time ago on how to photograph bonsai and kusamono (accent plants). Although this article may be dated, it contains nonetheless some very good information. Carl goes into great detail on how one can achieve great photography, even with a P&S camera.



I was fortunate enough this year to receive an update to my old Fuji A201. Santa left a Fuji S700 under the tree for me to find. Digital cameras have come a long way. MY first Fuji was nearly double the price of this camera. As time goes by, DSLRs will further reduce in price and all should be able to afford one. This is great for folks who have a series of quality 35mm lenses. All one need to do is find a camera that the lenses will fit on.



Specifications and Review

Needless to say that the jump from a P&S (point and shoot) was a learning curve, never had owned a manual 35mm is the past. The user manual was all but useless. I found this site while surfing to be extremely useful. It went into the functionality of a camera in greater detail, and hence reducing the height of my learning curve.

In my present setup, I have come to find out that back lighting does not render great shots, regardless of aperture and shutter settings. My indoor photos take place in my den that has a daylight fluorescent overhead, which I supplement with two daylight pig tails at 60 watts each. My backdrop is royal blue velvet.Using "natural light" and flash suppression I am able to capture the depth and true colours of the trees. Using flash just washes the tree. Now what will happen when I take shots outdoors? I guess we will soon find out.

This camera was placed on Santa's list for 4 reasons, in order of importance: powered by AA batteries; had a view finder vice just an LED screen; had an optical zoom and was capable of taking shots in macro mode. I took a shot one night of a text that was laying open on my computer desk from 3 inches away. The shot would have gained me entrance into the CIA.

In closing as digital photography is getting better as time goes by, and gains in consumer popularity, the affordability of digital cameras will undoubtedly continue to improve.

No comments: